We all want the best for our families, right?
I’m sure that one of the big reasons behind starting your own business was to create a better future for you and those you love.
One of the best ways to build your business into a professional, profitable and popular company is to think through what your vision is and then to build your vision for your business. What’s so cool about doing this is that it gives you the best possible chance to create what you want.
Equally, if you haven’t identified your vision, then your ability to steer your company isn’t going to be as strong and as powerful as it could be.
Look around you right now – what can you see or touch? All of those items began as a vision or idea in someone’s mind.
Vision is the first brick of the business that you are building.
Maybe you had nothing much more than a daydream that floated through your mind. Maybe something as vague as ‘I’d like to be financially free and secure one day.’
Or perhaps your mental picture is tangible and you’ve planned how your professional and personal life will be in 5 or 10 years time.
Vision supports you in many ways as it:
- gives you & your business direction & aids decision making
- focuses your attention
- influences your actions and behaviour
- helps you set achievable goals
- guides advertising & promotion
- helps you describe your business to others
- motivates you & gives you strength and confidence because you have a purpose
If you haven’t thought through your vision for your business, then I urge you to do it now!
What Is My Vision for My Business?
Your vision for your business will be personal to you and based a great deal on your values.
To help you work out your vision, grab a coffee and a notebook and pen and answer these questions:
- What is happening with your business right now? What are your strengths – skills, training, knowledge, experience, location, resources etc? What are the potential problems? How serious are they? How can you solve any serious problems? What opportunities do you have right now? How can you maximise these?
- How do you feel about your business right now?
- How do you see it in 18 months, 3 years, 5 years, 10 years?
- How do you want your business to grow in the next 18 months?
- Do you hope to change your location in the next 18 months?
- What do you want your business to offer your customers? [Obviously a great service is a given, think about other features you offer, or would like to. Are you recognised as an authority in your field?]
- Why should clients and others care about what you do?
- What is the purpose of your business [this is more than making money]
- What kind of clients do you want to work with? And not work with?
- How do you define good customer service?
- Do you need to take on employees/support [e.g. an accountant] How will they feel about your business and working with/for you?
- Anything else?
My Vision Statement
The next stage is to turn all your information into a Vision Statement, which you can read regularly, update, if necessary and use to effectively and efficiently run your business. Below is a guide, using a hair extensionist’s business to get you started, so go ahead and make it your own!
I have a client base of X[number] ideal clients, product sales of £Y and I am known as an authority in hair extensions in [my area] I provide a professional, friendly service to all my clients and I work efficiently with an effective pricing strategy so I can choose my working hours according to my needs.
Finally, remember that vision is slippery – you need to pay it attention or it slips away. As soon as you take responsibility for your vision, and your goals, things will start to happen for you.
Vision + Responsibility = Progress
Own your vision, read your vision statement regularly, believe in your vision and take responsibility for it. You have a great opportunity in front of you to make a difference in your life and in the lives of others, but it won’t happen unless you make it happen.
Let me know how things are going for you – you can leave me a message here or on my Face Book page.
Nina Franklyn BSc[Hons], CCLC, is a popular and qualified life coach,who helps people turn their lives around. Nina has a special interest in personal & professional goals, success and influence. She runs hugely popular workshops as well as insightful 1:1 life coaching. To enquire whether Nina has space available to take you on as a client, email: firstname.lastname@example.org